Sunday, November 04, 2007

The 21 Praises of Tara

This most beloved of Tibetan Goddesses is the Protectoress Goddess of Tibet. Her name means The Star, as she is believed to guide her devotees across the ocean of life to enlightenment. The beautiful goddess Tara, (pronounced tah' rah), originated in Indian Hinduism as the Mother Creator, and her many representations spread from Ireland to Indonesia under many different names. In later Hindu scriptures, she is depicted as one of the eight major aspects of the Divine Feminine Principle, a loving manifestation in contrast to the fiercesome Kali. Like a star that perpetually consumes its own energy, Tara represents the never-ending desires that fuel all life. In The Tibetan Lamaist tradition, there are two Taras--the beautiful White Tara and the playful Green Tara.
I have finally decided that she will be the goddess tattoo above the lotus I already have on my back. When I originally had the vision of my tat, I sat Tara with the feel of Kuan Yin. I was a bit confused until I came across the White Tara, who is the compassion, love and wisdom aspect of Tara associated with Kuan Yin.
This next weekend I will be attending the 21 praises of Tara, a dance embodying the great goddess and studying tantric buddhist practice. A public performance to follow the weekend workshop.

No comments: